Removing Facebook Tracking Params22 October 2018
Facebook recently began adding a
fbclid parameter to external links. Using the Neat URL Firefox Add-on and the Neat URL Chrome extension, you can easily remove these and other similar tracking parameters.
- Install the Neat URL Firefox add-on or the Neat URL Chrome extension, depending on which browser you are using. I have only tried the Firefox add-on as I am not a regular Chrome user.
- Go to the add-on preferences by right-clicking on the ?_ icon selecting Preferences. This will bring up the Firefox Add-ons Manager with the Neat URL preferences page open.
- Scroll down a bit to the Blocked parameters box. It should already be prepopulated with a lot of parameters. At the time of this writing,
fbclidis not in there by default, but I won't be surprised when the author adds it.
- If it's not in there already, add
fbclidto the list. I added it in the middle with the other
- Make sure you hit the Save preferences button at the bottom of the page.
Once you've completed the above steps, you can test by going to
https://ianc.blog?fbclid=foo. The extension modifies the request before it is sent to the server, so you should see the address bar show
https://ianc.blog right away. You're all set!